Monday, September 29, 2008

Sweet Trees




As any parent of a toddler knows, getting them to eat vegetables is a nightmare. My friend Alicia gave me this awesome broccoli salad recipe that my son and I love! Brendan calls them sweet trees.

Here is the recipe:
5 cups fresh broccoli florets (or 1-2 bags of broccoli from Trader Joes)
1/2 cup regular or golden raisins (I don't put these in)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
Dressing: 1 cup mayo, 2 tblsps apple-cider vinegar, 1/4-1/2 cup sugar or Splenda (I am not big on substitutes so I use sugar)


Clean broccoli and break/cut into small trees. Gently mix everything except the bacon and sunflower seeds. In a separate bowl mix dressing and gently stir into other ingredients. Add bacon and sunflower seeds a few minutes before serving. Tastes best served very chilled.

YUMMM!!! Enjoy!!!

No comments: